Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Clinicals in psych

Another pretty low-key week for the Andrew family. Dani felt quite a bit worse after our weekend travels, and it's been discouraging that she felt so good and now feels lousy again. We're at 20 weeks, and we expected that at least halfway through the pregnancy she'd be feeling awesome again. It's frustrating that she'll take two steps forward and slide another step back.

On Monday I took a shift for Morgan EMS but spent the day studying at the station. It's nice to have a full 12 hours to get homework done, but whenever I'm on call I really hope for some action.

On Tuesday my clinical rotation was in adult behavioral health. I worked with the nurse in the psychiatric intensive care unit (PICU), an area that typically has more difficult-to-handle psychotic patients; they may be violent, aggressive, or agitate other patients enough that they need to be more secluded. One of our patients was obsessed with working out, and spent most of the day on the floor attempting pushups as he yelled out with each rep. The day was pretty uneventful until the evening, when one patient with dementia started to become combative with the staff. They had to hold him down while I gave him an injection of an anti-agitative medication. After a few minutes it didn't seem to make much of a difference (after deciding that barricading his door with his bed wasn't enough, he cracked the door open and peed in our direction), so we gave him another dose and he calmed down just fine.

Last week I worked in pediatric behavioral health, and although it's a totally different world working with psychiatric patients, I don't think I'd enjoy it for very long. Next week I'm in OB/GYN, so we'll see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment