Pages

Sunday, December 20, 2015

A Christmastime Miracle

This snowy and chilly December has been one of love and friendship; and we are really excited to share some pictures with you of our Christmastime miracle.

One day at my job downtown I was talking to my good friend and coworker Liz about our plans for Christmas. I mentioned to her how Chris and I weren't doing gifts other than gear for the PCT and because we're only living in Alaska temporarily we planned to skip the Christmas decorations this year. For those of you who do not know I LOVE Christmas, and I LOVE Christmas decorations! Well, apparently my love for all things Christmas showed in our conversation, and being the astute friend that she is Liz noticed the disappointment I was trying to hide when I told her we decided not to decorate for the season. 

Liz is one of the most thoughtful people I know, so when she noticed this she decided to act. Unknown to me, her and her husband Johnny contacted our friends Ben and Camille and decided to bring Christmas to us. One morning she texted Chris and asked him to hide a key for our apartment so they could sneak in while we were at work and decorate. Of course Chris willingly obliged and our Christmas elves got to work. 

When we got home from work that night we opened our apartment doors to a beautifully decorated Christmas miracle. Our friends did such a great job decorating that even Chris was surprised - and he was in on the secret plan! Being the emotional female that I am I broke into tears, and continued to cry for 20 minutes straight. We were the recipients of such a heartwarming act of service, and one that we are sure to always remember. Since we were on our honeymoon last Christmas this year felt in many ways like our first Christmas, and it was so wonderful to have a home that reflected the season we were celebrating. We are one couple that will definitely always remember our first Christmas tree. 


Wanting to share our love of the season with others we decided to come up with a goodie to give to all of our close friends and ward members. Instead of going with traditional cookies or candies Chris and I decided to give out bags of homemade granola. We made gallons of our favorite granola, and had fun delivering goodie-bags to all the people who have been a part of making our time here in Alaska so meaningful. 


We ended our fun week by making gingerbread houses with Johnny, Liz, Ben, Camille, and a
family that Johnny works with. Though neither Chris or I are engineers or artists we still had fun making little graham cracker and frosting creations. Chris made the yurt that we stayed in for our anniversary, and I tried to make a cabin. Though we have to admit, the best part of the whole night was definitely the company (especially the cuddles from Ben and Camille's little baby Liesel)!


Remember to pray and remember to play,
Mr. & Mrs. Andrew



No comments:

Post a Comment